[CQ-Contest] Be Icephobic - Before You Put Them Back Up - Read

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Be Icephobic - Before You Put Them Back Up - Read
From: "Ken Widelitz" <widelitz@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:27:49 -0800
ICEPHOBIC  COATINGS

Yes, I am an icephobic. The January ice storm in PEI took down many
antennas, including two stacked M2 125 MPH rated, 6 element 20 meter yagis
on 59' booms.

The booms broke right in half, about 2' from the mast, in the same place on
both antennas. Before they went back up, I painted all the aluminum with an
icephobic coating from http://www.wearlon.com/Eice.htm. $200 per gallon.
About 1.5 gallons to do 5 large yagis. It is supposed to cut ice loading by
a large factor. They have detailed charts on their website. I painted the
first couple of antennas with a primer and two coats of the Wearlon, but
then did one with just one coat of Wearlon and when it dried the cover and
adhesiveness was no different than with the primer and two coats.

I also used 1/2" thick aluminum in the center 10' insert for the 20 meter
yagi booms, instead of the 1/10" inserts that failed.

On the bright side, when Mother Nature brings an antenna down, you know it
is big enough.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT