Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Log

To: Mike Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Log
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 16:50:12 -0500

On 12/26/2008 Mike Coslo wrote:

> James Duffey wrote:
>> Dallas - You wrote:
>> "The one point that I have not seen profered is, if the logs have been
>> adjudicated by the contest committee, why would you want/need to see
>> them. In otherwords, what's in it for you to see my logs?"

>> Well, for one thing, it will satisfy my curiosity. For example, if I
>> am sure that I worked you, and got a NIL from the log checkers for our
>> QSO, I really want to know what is in your log when I thought we worked.

> Are you willing to pay for that curiosity?
...snip...

With no row to hoe in this (I didn't enter a single contest in 2008) here's my
answer

Why would I _LIKE_ to see other peoples logs?  Just interest in how people
operated, not necessarily the big guns, but folks nearby with similar smaller
than popgun stations, aka knowledge, but I can also see why a serious contester
might not want to give that up, despite the fact that the spirt of ham radio is
sharing knowledge.

Do I insist I have the "right" - heck no, I don't, and honestly, I really don't
have the time/willpower to spend much time doing analysis, and for right now,
the best way I learn is by sitting down over a cup of coffee with more serious
operators, and talking

Maybe this year, I'll actually have more time to get on the air, and my health
will be better to go from "Hey, it's a short wire, so I make up for it by being
low <grin>" to getting the beam/tower that is sitting in the yard for 3 years
on the roof

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

If the opposite of "pro" is "con", then what's the opposite of "progress"?