Re: [CQ-Contest] [Re: CQWW CW & 6Y1V Logs]

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [Re: CQWW CW & 6Y1V Logs]
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:54:49 -0500
On Jan 30, 2009, at 10:48 AM, David Gilbert wrote:

> I don't think there's anything "wrong" with KY1V deciding not to
> submit
> his log ... for any reason.  I do, however, think it's misguided and
> inconsistent of him to make a public spectacle of it in order to decry
> the presumption of guilt as his rationale for doing so, when the log
> checking process itself involves far more presumption of guilt than
> does
> making logs public.

Let's not forget that the first part of the "public spectacle" was the
public logs in the first place.

Seriously, you just can't have it both ways, where you demand public
logs as a form of ensuring against cheating, and have everyone be
happy about it - and let's face it, you just assumed a presumption of
guilt for him, and that is the main reason why some folks don't like
it..

Let's look at the situation in a more everyday light. I have no doubt
that if the local gendarmerie could really cut down on drunken driving
if they would hire more, and pull over every car they see and perform
field sobriety tests on everyone. They would probably be able to find
out lots more illegal things people are doing. Driving with expired
inspections, a tail light out, and on and on.

More analogous, wouldn't it be even more effective if anyone could
pull over anyone else, and do the same? We could probably eliminate
automobile crimes. (har - not likely)

Then we'd say that if you or I were not doing anything wrong, we
should consent to random and continual searches for criminal activity,
and be happy about it.

But people who are not doing anything wrong should not have to
continually prove that they are not doing anything wrong. That is
wrong. And some of us feel pretty strongly about that.

One other aspect of the public log mess is that those who are so gung
ho and positive about it not only do not trust other contesters - they
don't trust contest sponsors either. In the end, no one trusts anyone.

        In the end, I think that operating in a contest and not sending in a
log is just about the best form of protest possible for this sort of
thing.

-73 de Mike N3LI -