Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking and deadlines

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking and deadlines
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 00:33:43 -0800
Hi Tree,

My name is Jim and I'm a chronic barely-make-the-deadline guy in most
things.

Chorus - "Hi Jim"

However, I usually don't post my score to 3830 until the same time I
submit the log.

Why am I such a last minute Charlie?

Chorus - "Tell us all about it Jim"

Well, after the contest I make an entry in my Daytimer program's to-do
list to write the story if I'm going to, submit the log and post to
3830.  In the task heading I include the submission deadline date.

So, every day I look at the to-do list and ask myself, "What do I have
to do right now?"  Because I seem to always try to do more than is
possible for me, it's never the log submission until it come close to
the dreadline date.  Sometimes I've missed it due to inattention and
have thrown myself on the mercy of the sponsor.  Other times I missed it
and didn't notice until far too late to expect any kind of clemency.

However, I don't do any log massaging as I believe it to be beneath me.
  I do my best in the contest and send in whatever I logged, even when
sometimes I come to know that I miscopied a call and what the call
should have been.  BY1V comes to mind.  (I'm still waiting for the card.
  Tree, do you know if I'll ever be able to look at the log to see if
I'm in it?)

In an NAQP a few years ago I forgot it wasn't sponsored by ARRL and ran
LP with 150W.  In a 3830 soapbox comment someone said that some of the
sigs sounded like a lot more than 100W.  Oops - I looked up the rules
and, sure enough, I'd screwed up.  I informed the sponsor to change my
entry to a check log and the certificate went to someone else.  Didn't
bother me at all - it wasn't mine anyway.

I suppose one could suggest that the real reason that I don't do any log
massage is that I realize that I'm such a procrastinator I'd never get
the log in at all if I waited until I'd done all that extra work.

One thing I didn't realize until now is that the log checking starts
before the log deadline and that I'm actually inconveniencing the log
checkers by not being prompt.  I have a lot of respect and admiration
for our unsung heroes and certainly don't want to make their job more
difficult.

So, I'll try to reverse this behaviour of mine.

Chorus - "Way to go Jim"

73, the late Jim   err... the tardy Jim    VE7FO