[CQ-Contest] 2008 IARU Web Results

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 2008 IARU Web Results
From: "Kutzko, Sean, KX9X" <kx9x@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:13:09 -0500
Hello, Folks-

Many have written in asking where the Web version of the IARU HF contest
results are. We try to get the web results for any given contest up and online
before the issue of QST with the results goes
out the door. Unfortunately, the day after the March QST was sent out with the
IARU printed results, we noticed a problem with the way some HQ Stations were
being scored.

After review, we determined that six (6) HQ stations submitted
logs with their ITU zone as their sent exchange, not their HQ-society
abbreviation. This caused everybody who had a QSO with them to be
penalized for "improperly" copying the sent exchange. We have no doubts
the HQ stations actually gave their member society abbreviation
correctly on the air, but it was not reflected in their log. None of the
HQ stations in question were serious competitors in the HQ category.

The only proper thing to do was to re-score the contest with the correct
information. This caused a delay in the results getting put on the web.

The result of this incident is minimal. Very few Top Ten places changed hands
as they were published in QST, but scores went up  slightly. This
reflects proper credit of QSO points and multipliers.

The web article, Top Ten lists and all other tables online show the
proper tabulated scores of the 2008 IARU HF World Championships. It is now
available at:

http://www.arrl.org/members-only/contests/results/2008/IARU/

The Searchable Web Database, Log-Checking Reports and Printable Line Scores
should be available over the weekend.

We apologize for the delay in getting the results out to the community sooner.

73,

Sean Kutzko KX9X
Contest Branch Manager
ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio
225 Main Street
Newington, CT  06111 USA
(860) 594-0232
email: kx9x@arrl.org