Re: [CQ-Contest] No US DX Only - ARRL DX

To: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>, "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] No US DX Only - ARRL DX
From: "David Kopacz" <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:18:15 -0600
I didn't say I didn't understand his viewpoint on the matter, I merely
presented another viewpoint.

What if the station being called (a W1 in Vermont) hears and is trying
to work a very weak 6O, but a W7 keeps calling over the top of the 6O.
So the W1 works the W7, then a W6 calls him. In the mean time, the W7
puts him on the cluster and notes "Vermont - Answering US stations".
Now, the Vermont guy gets a mini pileup of US stations calling him while
the 6O, frustrated, leaves.

Why is the Vermont guy expected to an "ambassador of goodwill" and not
the W7? Is it not "goodwill" for the W7 to understand this is a DX
contest, the W1 is looking for DX and simply not call him?

Personally, I would leave the Vermont station alone, knowing that at
some point in my ham radio "career", I am sure to hear another Vermont
station that is listening for US stations.

If you think this scenario isn't possible, ask any of the Vermont guys.
I know, I lived there. Creating a pileup is almost as easy as it is from
the Caribbean.

David ~ KY1V

So now we create scenarios why we should not be courteous?

What if Aliens came down from the skies, what if....

What if didn't happen and this was not widespread.

In Sprint SSB I took the time to explain the rules to a number of people
they understood what was going on and why hoping they would jump in and
others. I hope they remember and find me in more contests.

I have no idea what contests you operate in where exchanges take minutes
the ARRL CW the exchange is about 5 seconds.

Suppose over time no new contesters entered contests....

Contesting needs more ambassadors of goodwill and much less of this

Why not wait for a domestic contest like sweepstakes or field day to try
working US stations needed for your awards?

I understand your view on this issue, but have you thought about it from
another perspective?

Sure, it takes only a few minutes to work you and move on, and if the
station you are calling is not busy working DX stations, what's the

So a few US contest stations begin routinely working other US stations
count 0 points simply as a courtesy to help out. Now others looking for
award related contacts pick up on this courtesy and they also begin
US contacts during the ARRL International DX contest.

Suppose, over time, this practice becomes widely known and what was just
few casual operators trying to pick up a few new states for an award
a few hundred, or a few thousand. More and more newcomers start finding
not only acceptable, but required for US stations to work them, log them
confirm these contacts during an International DX contest.

Now, consider the amateur in a more difficult to work state or province,
has spent considerable time and effort, not to mention money, and is
to win the contest but must work hundreds of 0 point stations whom may
covering up weaker DX stations calling, one that count for valuable
and multipliers.

While I am sure many people wouldn't give it another thought and simply
you, there are others that may find it  inconsiderate to interrupt their
contest to work stations that count for 0 points, particularly when
are plenty of contests that support these types of QSO's.

Perhaps people should consider the type of contest before making
and work only those stations appropriate for the contest.
Besides, it isn't difficult for any US station to work any other US
in any state and it is particularly easy to do this during contests such
sweepstakes and field day.

I thought I would share another view before you are too hard on those
signed "No US DX Only". It is quite possible you thought you were the
one calling them when they heard many.

David ~ KY1V

Ok, I get it, no points for working a US station in ARRL DX.

As well as DX, I was also interested in picking up states for Triple
since lots of states get spotted in this contest.  Both the stations I
to work in Washington state (big contesters) came back and said "No US
Only", or statements to that effect.

Out of hundreds of contacts both US and DX, the two stations I tried to
in WA were the ONLY two stations to do this.  It wouldn't be so bad, but
they were CQ 'ing with NO ONE ANSWERING.  It took them longer to answer
than it would have to put me in the log.  I'm not trying to say that
this is
a Washington state thing.  Just annoying.

Some much needed stations (by everyone) that I worked this week (like
Hawaii, Idaho and Belarus) that were CQ'ing when I found them, I put
in for.  It was nice to hear them get busy after the spots.  I would
done the same for the WA stations.

The contacts they would have gotten from the spot would have more than
up for the 5 letters they would have had to transmit to me.  Oh wait,
already transmitted more than 5 letters to tell me they wouldn't work

Just wanted to take a moment to send a big Thank You to the US stations
worked me this weekend.  Thanks for helping to nurture contesting and
sharing the amateur spirit.  I very much appreciate the time you took to
answer my call.

Dave Wilburn
CQ-Contest mailing list
CQ-Contest mailing list