Re: [CQ-Contest] (no subject)

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] (no subject)
From: John Laney <k4bai@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:58:51 -0400
Alan Leith wrote:
> Thanks, Guy.  I knew this was planned but I didn't realize it was this
> soon.  Well, I, for one, am really happy about that.
>
> 73
>
> Al, VE1AL
>
>   _____

I agree that there were fewer DX stations CQing below 7040 this contest.
  Of course, there were many working simplex between 7125 and 7200.
But, there is still underutilization of the frequencies between 7100 and
7125.  There is no reason why split frequency operation should not occur
in that segment.  Generallly, there were only one or two stations around
7102 listening up and toward the end there was a very weak (here) ES5
around 7123.  Interestingly, there were a few US stations calling him on
his transmit frequency, out of the US band.  I guess that is the usual
problem of hams grabbing spots off the cluster and not thinking about
what frequency the spot is reporting.  You would think on a band like 40
where there is so much split frequency operation that most would think
more before they transmit.  Maybe that segment will be more utilized in
the next SSB contest.  There is still a small amount of slow speed CW
and this weekend there were a lot of foreign broadcast stations, which I
hope will be gone by CQ WPX SSB in a few weeks.  73, John, K4BAI.