Re: [CQ-Contest] ETHICS

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ETHICS
From: "Tonno Vahk" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 22:42:52 +0300
I think US stations are extremely ethical, at least compared to EU, don't
know how the comparison to VE would look like:)

I did interesting statistics on ES5RR ARRL DX CW SOAB operation from my
station. He worked 797 US Qs on 20m and 304 of those on frequencies below
14025. I was curious as to how much he lost because others than Extras could
not call him at that time. How many of the other categories where around
anyway and how well did they obey band plan?

Well, the answers are:

He worked

Extra 734 (92.4%)
Advanced 15 (1.9%)
General 25 (3.2%)
Technician 2 (0.3%)
Club Stations 18 (2.3%)

BUT ALL QSOs BELOW 14025 WHERE WITH EXTRAS ONLY!!

Even though the share of Extras is extremely high, still nobody else called
him below 14025. I could also conclude based on the amount of other
categories worked above 14025 that he would have maybe worked ca 25 more
QSOs by staying above 14025 all the time.

If in this contest (CW and not so good propagation) the share of extras
calling in was very high then in other situation like ES5TV WAE SSB I had
about 1000 US QSOs on 20m and 8.3% Advanced and 32.1% General out of it. Of
course I stayed above 14225 and you can see that it is possible to lose
nearly HALF of your QSOs by sticking too low.

73
Tonno
ES5TV

P.s. naturally I think that it is by no means the responsibility of the CQ
station to know if the caller is out of band or not.