Re: [CQ-Contest] Pessimism

To: "'David Levine'" <david@levinecentral.com>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Pessimism
From: "Sandy Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 07:33:01 -0500
Hi David,

It is a common mistake of new operators to assume that the conditions they
experience are shared by everyone else.

In K2-land, you are blessed with conditions that aren't as drastically
affected by the lack of sunspots the same way anyone in the Black Hole is.

During times of sunspot doldrums, all we can do is listen to your half of
QSOs as you run Europe on 40 or 20 or JAs on 15, and don't even mention 10m.

When sunspots peak, as they did just before I was licensed in 1982, we can
run DX quite well but still nowhere near as well as K2s or K1s can.

When I was in Jamaica in November, I was blown away by how much we heard and
could work that you would not have been able to.

So, no, sunspots are not an excuse for anything. They're real and their
absence is keenly felt in many areas of the world.

73,Kelly
Ve4xt