[CQ-Contest] be careful what you wish for

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] be careful what you wish for
From: "Sandy Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:23:52 -0500
To those who are demanding a literal interpretation of the rule regarding
the check in SS: be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

Consider this IS a rule that governs ARRL contests:

3. General Rules:

3.1.<snip>

3.2.All callsigns and exchange information must be sent, received,
acknowledged and logged correctly by each station for a complete QSO.

(http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/rules-all.html)

It is there. You cannot argue that it is there. In black and white. It has
not been enforced: you do NOT (or, N4XM, should not) lose credit for busts
made by the other station.

BUT YOU COULD, if that rule were applied literally.

Mal, put down the lawyer, walk away from the witness stand: your lawyer
would NOT have a case. You cannot argue against rules that you VOLUNTARILY
submit to by entering a contest (see below). Any court's decision will be,
don't like the rules, you don't have to enter. Case dismissed. Defendant is
awarded costs. Next on the docket, please. (I doubt it would ever come to
that: the league has not enforced that rule literally in all the years it's
been there.)

2.Conditions of Entry:

2.1.Entrants agree to be bound by the provisions and intent of ARRL contest
rules.
2.2.Entrants agree to be bound by the regulations of their national
licensing authority.
2.3.Entrants agree to be bound by the decisions of the ARRL Awards
Committee.
2.4. All entries become the property of the ARRL.

So, given rule 2.3 above, and given that we've heard several times from the
contest manager at ARRL that the accuracy of the check is not verified and
is not subject to DQ, can we please let the matter rest?

Gawd, do we need sunspots or what?

73, Kelly

Ve4xt