Re: [CQ-Contest] 4-square dump power into horizontal dipole

To: RDStraw <n6bv@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 4-square dump power into horizontal dipole
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:49:19 -0700
RDStraw wrote:

>>I also have <1% dumped power at optimum on my 4-sqr, so it seems that it
>>

>really wouldn't add much high-angle fill-in?
>
>You might be very surprised to see what 15 W (1% of 1500 W) can do into a
>good horizontal dipole. It certainly makes local stations aware that you're
>on frequency when they otherwise might not hear you well on the low-angle
>Four Square, which has a deep null in the vertical-elevation pattern
>directly overhead.
>
>73, Dean, N6BV
>
>Tor
>N4OGW/5
>
>Dean Straw, N6BV
>n6bv@arrl.net

Dean/Tor

I believe the hybrid would be reciprocal on receive (correct me if I am
wrong on this) in which case you could listen to the close-in stations
to get an idea of how much fill was provided by the high dipole. Also,
with a relay or two you could easily configure a switch that would
select between 4-square w/dummy load dump termination, 4-square with
high dipole dump termination, and high dipole direct. That would be neat
to play with.

BTW, I enjoyed your presentation, Dean. I always come away with good
food for thought after hearing one of your talks.