[CQ-Contest] control ops - the final word?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] control ops - the final word?
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 18:06:44 +0000 (GMT)
Well, realizing that I am far from the expert on this stuff, I wrote to the
ARRL today.
Here is their reply, which I found enlightening, at least in terms of USA
rules/regs.

[snip]
Hi Doug:

For starters, Part 97 requires a control operator at the control point
who has operating privileges for the frequency and mode being operated.
If you do not have operating privileges for the frequency and mode being
operated you are a Third Party, since you can not be the control
operator.

A callsign has no operating privileges.  A Novice using [KR2Q] can
only operate on Novice frequencies if he is the control operator.  If he
is a General class, he can only operate on General Class frequencies if
he is the control operator.  Related to this is that a club callsign
conveys no operating privileges.  It is a common mistake that people
assume that if the trustee of a club call is an Extra then anyone can
operate as if they are Extras if using the club call.  That is not true.

The rules do not state that the control operator has to push the PTT
button or key the transmitter.  They say that he has to be in control of
he transmissions 97.115 (b)(1): "The third party may participate in
stating the message where: The control operator is present at the
control point and is continuously monitoring and supervising the third
party's participation;"  The rules do not state what "continuously
monitoring and supervising" means - so it is up to the control operator
to determine that.  However it is pretty clear than the control operator
needs to be present and involved - he can't be off in another room of
the house sleeping or running down to the corner pizzeria for lunch.

While some consider it a matter of semantics, there is a difference
between being a "participant" and being an "operator".  A General Class
licensee can operate a station using their General class privileges.
But if they wish to make contacts at 14.155 MHz, then they become a
participant who has to be under the supervision of a proper Extra Class
control operator.  If the General class licensee is making contacts as a
third party participant under the control operator of an Extra on 14.155
MHz is contacted by say a Russian station, then the third-party rules
come into play. As a third-party he can only participate in
communications with stations in countries that allow third-party
communications with the US.

Thanks and 73

ARRL - The National Association for Amateur Radio
[end snip]

So there is the opinion from the ARRL.  As I said, I'm no expert and I'm
certainly no lawyer.  I post this memo for completeness.

de Doug KR2Q