[CQ-Contest] Xtreme Category: the sky is NOT falling

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Xtreme Category: the sky is NOT falling
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:56:02 +0000 (GMT)
Maybe follks just to debate this stuff.

Contesting, DXCC, whatever, is based on the presumption of entrant/applicant
honesty.
Are there cheaters?  Sure.  There has always been cheaters.  If someone fakes
their
way to DXCC or DXCC Honor Roll, does it diminish YOUR accomplishments?  That is
your call,
but there is zero doubt that folks have cheated.  Have you given up on DXCC?

So why would you give up on Contesting?

I would hope that if you enter the Xtreme category and work "a new one," that
you would,
ON YOUR OWN, realize that the QSO may not be  "valid" for DXCC, depending on
"how"
made and completed the contact.

You don't think guys have used "their buddies" antenna and receiver via
telephone to work
"a new one?"  Get real.  This has happened since the days of a tin can and a
waxed string.

If you feel that this new category, which has not even been run yet, and we
have no idea
of how popular it will be, will destroy you enthusiasm for contesting/DXing,
then it is my
opinion that you are not recognizing what has been taking place "forever."  The
only thing
that has changed is that now those SDR/internet/linux guys have a legal place
to play.

I think it will be "fun" to see what folks come up with...just how inventive
are they?  Is this
"real" ham radio?  Who knows...that's your call.  Personally, I agree that I
would not have
much enjoyment entering such a category, but then most guys dont' like "my"
category of
entry either (QRP), but I have lots of fun with it and I am thankful that the
category
exists....and I bet nobody doesn't get on because of it.

Formally recognizing and promoting what already exists is NOT changing the
world.

I encourage everybody to continue the discussion; I am sure not the be-all and
end-all
source of knowledge (or opinion) on this (or any) topic.  It is sure
interesting reading.

de Doug KR2Q