[CQ-Contest] Sprint and Different names

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Sprint and Different names
From: "Robert L. Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:28:33 -0400
Hi all,

Somewhere around 1988?,  I was coming back from a YCCC meeting in
Auburn, Mass with Hal, K8HVT (now W1NN).  We stopped
at his house and I worked K8CC from Hal's station with my name and
QTH (CT), then drove back to my Co-op in Eastern Long Island,  and worked
K8CC again with a different QTH (NY) and different name, and then made
another qso with K8CC on the third band with a third name.

K8CC was a bit puzzled, but being the well-seasoned op that he is, logged
it, confirmed it, and moved on each time.  3 q's with Dave from two
different
states and with three different names!

In the late '80's, when I was a Co-op dweller with a few invisible wire
 antennas, I also used to make up names to test the skills of the Sprint
ops....
Some of the names were Eemio (especially fun to copy at 40 wpm!),
Iristiian (also fun @ 40 wpm), Scandalla, Obert, etc.

 We had a lot of fun with this.  As you might expect, the best ops took the
least amount of time to get the name correct.

Not long after that, it became more common for individual ops to use
different names and for Sprint teams to occasionally use the same name.
Homer (in memory of K7RA) and Ed come to mind.  And then there was
that name used by the RCCC Rubber Circle Contest Club) team members.   :-)

I guess that W5 would have been mad at us.  Oh well....

73
Bob KQ2M

kq2m@earthlink.net