Re: [CQ-Contest] Tic Ring - Controller

To: "'Ralph'" <k1zzi@comcast.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Tic Ring - Controller
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:19:03 -0400
I agree with Ralph completely.

I have four GH controllers: three for a stack of TIC rings and one for an M2
OR-2800.

The GH is perfect for TIC rings: accurate to one degree or less, flexible
and effective ramp up/down, computer and network drivable, easy calibration,
programmable software limits to compensate for the lack of physical limit
switches, won't allow windmill if the pot fails, hardware failsafe against
driver failure, and much more.

The GH is a great match for the M2 as well. I don't have the missing pulse
problem that's common with the stock controller and I'm using close to 400'
of standard rotor cable for the pulse train leads (many stock controller
owners have had to resort to coax for the pulse leads.) The rotor can be
calibrated from the shack, and the GH calibration program makes it a
single-click process. The calibration is easily adjusted to compensate if
the beam turns a few degrees in the rotor jaws in a high wind (the M2 rotor
has enough overlap that so far I've been able to delay climbing to
reposition the beam.)

Ralph is exactly right about Jeff: fabulous service and support.

IMHO, there's no better rotor controller than the Green Heron.

73, Dick WC1M