Re: [CQ-Contest] Why Are European Contesters Younger?

To: Mark Beckwith <n5ot@n5ot.com>, CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why Are European Contesters Younger?
From: Roger Cooke <g3ldi@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:23:03 +0000 (GMT)
Hi Mark.

 Well, it's not for lack of trying over here!  Our Club in Norwich is now 120
strong, but I would think that only about
20% are interested in CW or Contesting. I find that we have to keep pushing the
CW and try to get them interested
enough to want to do it. That's the trick. However, the incentive for us ( I
say us, but not sure how  long you have been
licenced. I got mine in 1956 ) was that in order to get on the HF bands 1 We
HAD to take a Morse test as well as the
3 hour written paper and 2  We HAD to make our own transmitter.
   We have to accept that there is no magic now with PC's and Skype and
Echolink, mobile phones, etc., so the thrill
we got is no longer there.  Working DX all round the world with something I had
spent ages making and months saving
up for the bits was a WOW factor. I was walking on water in those days but now,
with a flash of a credit card the newbies
are talking on the air. Most seem content with 2 meters only.
   We had the best days in the middle of last century - that does make me
old..................  Strange thing is that I still get
a kick out of it!!!

Regards from Roger, G3LDI
Swardeston, Norfolk.