[CQ-Contest] "I would like to see more DQs...."

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] "I would like to see more DQs...."
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 23:49:42 +0000 (GMT)
K4RJB said
[snip]
I would like to see more DQ's for unverified contacts.  I found one contestant
in the
CQ WW 160 had 51% uniques
[end snip]

Well, I suppose that things have changed a lot since then.  Most Uniques are
actually
Busted or Bad calls (no, not all, but most).  Thanks to automated
cross-checking, this is
now easy to do.  Busted/Bad calls are deducted (with penalty? - I don't know
for 160),
so there is no reason to DQ anyone...they get dinged anyway.

For a recent CQ160cw contest, I found the following stats for SO, HP entrants:

UNIQUE RATES:
Minimum = 0.00%
Maximum = 14.81%

10th percentile = 0.00%
25th percentile = 0.00%
50th percentile = 0.21%
75th percentile = 0.59%
90th percentile = 1.04%

Very respectable.

So the 14.81% is a huge outlier, but in this case, is probably real.
He is from rare county and zone and made only a "small" number of QSO's.

The days of Unique rates over 1% are gone (in fact, it looks like the days
of over 0.6% are mostly gone).

So DQing for "unverifiable" QSO's is, today, a moot point.  It just doesn't
happen.
Something to celebrate!

de Doug KR2Q