Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Rules Question/interpretation

To: CQ contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Rules Question/interpretation
From: "David J. Sourdis" <hk1kxa@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 18:08:52 -0500

Hi Franki and all,

No controversy intention on my initial message of this thread. I am just
pointing to what looks to me like a loose end in the rules.

Before, rules needed little or no clarification, because supposedly everybody
knew "the spirit of the law" or the intention of the rule makers when they
wrote it, and all players acted accordingly with this intentions.
Unfortunately, that is not the case anymore. Too many follow rules with a
knowledge of lawyers, walking all the time on the thin line that defines what
is ethic and what isn't to take the maximum advantage of these loose ends in a
way they know they shouldn't but their interpretation of the law shields them.
(No pun intended to lawyers here, carachters, names and places are fictional,
just in case, hi hi)

Apart from helper getting RF exposure, the difference between somebody helping
to do repair or installation during the contest while the op runs the pile up,
and the case of op doing the repair/install by herself or himself lays in the
number of QSO's and mults not done while the op is repairing, that will harm
his/her final score. If somebody else repairs while op runs the test, there
will be a difference compared to the "I am on my own" op's score. I would say
that in this case, the helper/repair person contributed positively to the SO
final score.

The difference of installing with help of others before contest time and doing
it during contest time is in the rule that defines the SO category, it mentions
"during official contest time" and who is the only one to "contribute to the
final score"

So, I believe that there is a boundary to define here because of this :
"contribute to the final score" sentence.
What kind of help during contest time is considered contributive to the final
score and which kind isn't?
What contributes during contest time to the final score and what does not?
This brings a consideration: What happens with the ham that, for reasons of
health condition or age or fear, can't climb a tower or climb to a roof?

Taking the pizza boy and wife bringing coffee and sandwich (or a fellow ham
bringing you a spare headset or TXCVR) to include them in my contest team for
my new M/S re-clasification would be a little too much. I also agree with you
on this: I don't want more overlays.

73

David
HK1KXA