Re: [CQ-Contest] Need advice re amps/setups for contesting

To: "'Zack Widup'" <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>, "'CQ Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Need advice re amps/setups for contesting
From: "Chet" <chetmoore@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 15:18:33 -0400
Hi Zack,

Having done a bit of contesting from outconus and at big stations, let me
say, DON"T TAKE IT PERSONALLY when they call another cq.  These days, the
automatic CQ machine may be timed to kick in but more likely, especially on
ssb, Many of the other guys calling in may be 40 db over s9 causing the DX
station to put filters in the line or cut way back on his RF gain or even
throw in some antenuation  so that only the guys over S9 and EXACTLY on
frequency are being heard.  As the pileup thins out, they will eventually
turn the gain back up.  Some guys like K3ZO have no filters in and great
ears and still hear everything.

73

Chet  N4FX