[CQ-Contest] CQWW Xtreme

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Xtreme
From: Doug Grant <dougk1dg@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 16:28:33 +0000
W4ZV asked:

> Where are all the extremists?  What does this mean?

Keep in mind that the 3830 posts are a small fraction of all the logs
submitted...overall there are about 5000 logs submitted per mode to
the CQWW, and only a few hundred that show up on 3830.

There are several more Xtreme entrants that submitted logs but did not
post to 3830. It is a new category, announced in June CQ, and some
folks have commented that they would not quite be ready by the SSB
contest. The first few years of multi-multi only yielded a few
entrants. We are only expecting a few entrants this year, but some
anecdotal reports suggest a lot of interest for next year and beyond.

There appears to be a lot more interest in doing Xtreme on CW for some
reason...I suspect Internet-linked remote Skimmers may have something
to do with it as well as automated code readers and fully-automated
robot stations (all of these are really hard to do on SSB).

NOTE TO EXTREME ENTRANTS: Due to a miscommunication for which I take
full responsibility, the instructions in CQ and on the CQ Web site are
in error for your Cabrillo file...your file should contain the line in
the header area:

             CATEGORY-OVERLAY: Xtreme

If you use "CATEGORY: SINGLE-OPERATOR XTREME" the robot will tell you
that this is not a valid category. Resubmit with the line shown above,
and all will be well.

73,

Doug K1DG