Re: [CQ-Contest] Ban all contest spotting?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Ban all contest spotting?
From: Dave Lawley <dave@g4buo.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 20:48:40 +0000
> Its been proven that the top single ops without packet have neven been beaten
> by an
> assisted operator. UNLESS of course you think that the top single ops, do use
> packet
> and they are cheaters too.. IN response to that I can attest that I had the
> opportunity to sit
> behind N5TJ on his both record breaking cw/ssb operations from my QTH and
> that superb score was done
> with pure passing mults and lots of two radio operation... so im absolutely
> certain
> that you dont win with packet or at least break records.

It's not as simple as that. I'm prepared to bet that if N5TJ had packet
available he could have made an even bigger score.

It need have nothing to do with changing your operating style and
following packet spots. Imagine Jeff is running on 20 and has the second
radio on 15. He comes across a pileup and would like to know if it is a
needed mult. The guy 'running' the pileup is one of these idiots who
only signs his call every 10 minutes or so (because of the constant
supply of packet users who know - or think they know - his call).

With packet available, Jeff need only look at the window to find out who
the station is, and whether he needs to call or not. Without packet, he
either spends several minutes on the second radio trying to find out, or
he moves on and risks losing the mult.

And anyway, you will find several places in the CQWW records where the
single op assisted record is higher than the unassisted record. Look at
the USA records in CQWW Phone for example.

Dave G4BUO