Re: [CQ-Contest] Thank those guys in the rare sections!

To: "'Idle-Tyme'" <nss@mwt.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Thank those guys in the rare sections!
From: "Tod - ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:43:21 -0700
I suspect I am in a 'sort of rare' section  when I have been operating
recently from Idaho.

I am not complaining about the 'pile ups' but it is a bit disconcerting when
four or more people send their calls all zero beat with each other at the
very same time.  You would like to work them all as rapidly as possible so
they can get on to their new QSO. The callers sending their call multiple
times are not necessarily helpful  because it causes other to do the same
and then each QSO gets stretched out. The smartest thing is to use the
spotting program to get you to the frequency and then use your XIT or
similar frequency adjustment to move 20-100 Hz off the frequency shown in
the spot. There were some folks who did that and even though they were not
the strong signals they were the ones my 'between the ears code reader'
could decode.

I found too,  that when someone called me very slowly it was smarter for me
to QRS immediately than wait for them to ask for a fill. I deliberately slow
down on numbers because that seems to be where I get the most requests for
fills.

Operating from Idaho the past several years I  certainly have grown to
admire the DX guys and the people in the really rare sections who manage to
deal with the pileup for many hours with many more calling than I found
calling me in SS. The people who do that successfully are truly special
operators.

Tod, K0TO