[CQ-Contest] WPX preliminary M/S rule re: Log Checking

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX preliminary M/S rule re: Log Checking
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:16:40 +0000 (GMT)
While I have not done log-checking for the WPX contest, I have done over 30
years of log
checking in CQWW for the Oct, Nov events (public knowledge).

I can see zero change in the "log checking ability" of the preliminary M/S rule
compared to last
year's rule.  I can see why the rule was NOT crafted without a "band changes
per hour" or
as it is now, with a minimum of X minutes per band....because with a rule that
stated simply
"one signal at a time," well, that IS almost impossible for the sponsor to
verify, since the
finest granularity is only in one-minute segments and we know that guys
routinely 4, 5, or 6 Q's
per minute...and sometimes even 9 and 10 per minute (rarely and then not "for
long").

So, no; the preliminary rule offers zero change in log checking ability and I
am confident
(although I don't know for sure) that the rule change has zero to do with log
checking.

As for the sequential numbers, I can't see where that has anything to do with
log checking
either.  But I can say that as a participant in WPX, it is nice to see numbers
always going
in one direction.  I have always found it disconcerting to work a guy with
#1001 only to work
him the next day and get (say) #350.  Did I mess up?  At least sequential
numbering will
improve that for me (less anxiety).

de Doug KR2Q