Re: [CQ-Contest] 1977 vanity calls (was Watch your dits this weekend)

To: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 1977 vanity calls (was Watch your dits this weekend)
From: Kevin Schmidt <w9cf@ptolemy.la.asu.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:46:29 -0700
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 10:38:38AM -0600, Zack Widup wrote:
> Yes, you're right. And those of us who got them didn't have to pay anything
> extra and do not have to pay any vanity call fees. I don't recall the words
> "vanity call" being used by anyone back then.
> I'm still curious about the requirements for the varions "gates" that were
> set up by the FCC for availability. My memory ain't what it used to be ...
>
> 73, Zack W9SZ

>From QST June 1976, page 55:
1. Beginning July 1, 1976 a person holding an extra class and a 1x2
may request a specific 1x2. A person holding an an extra who was
first licensed at least 25 years ago may request a 1x2 call.
2. Beginning October 1, 1976 extends to those who held an extra
before November 22, 1967.
3. Beginning January 1, 1977 extends to those who held an extra
before July 2, 1974.
4. Beginning April 1, 1977, extends to those who held an extra before
July 1, 1976.
5. After July 1, 1977 extends to all extras.

73 Kevin w9cf