[CQ-Contest] WPX M/S Rule

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX M/S Rule
From: "Robert L. Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 16:14:45 -0500
Hi Ron,

My comments are interspersed below...,

>I thought that Randy posted advance notice of the change, and asked for good
reasons why it shouldn't be done.  I don't recall him putting it to a vote.

Well then, why did he provide a link to his blog to provide a rationale
for his proposal, for a question that he didn't even ask in his survey?
Did you think about that?

>We also don't know what Randy has been told privately from members of this
reflector, nor do we know what comments he's heard from other sources.

Indeed!  I asked him to share his information, which he did not.

>So are you saying that the sentiment now "In other words, since the
"majority" of posters on one email reflector are against change, change
should not even be considered, even if it is improvement, how dare you!" ??

No, I am saying that the data that HE provided to me to support his
position, does NOT support his position!  Maybe you believe that
unilateral decisions are ok.  I don't.  I think that attitude completely
disrespects the thoughts and experiences of the participants - who
are the contest.

BTW, how do you know the proposed rule change is an improvement?
What evidence can you provide that clearly supports that claim?

The majority of those who responded to his WPX survey DON'T want the
change!  Are they all wrong?

>I may well be in the minority here (so what else is new?), but I think that
the new Multi/1 category is ultimately a good thing in both the short and
the long term.

Now THAT opinion is interesting.  What pray tell is it based on?
I noted from the WPX log search that you made only one log submission
in the past 15 years - in 2002 for 300 q's?  When, if ever, was the last time
that you operated in this M/S category and submitted a log?  Is the current
M/S category rule the only reason that you have not?

Have you given serious thought to how the people who actually participate
in this category feel about this rule change?  I think you should - it impacts
their scores!  What about the records that have been established in this
category?  Do they not matter to you either?

Opinions are fine Ron, but rule changes that affect people should actually
be based on clear and objective data that supports the change, or a majority
of participants in favor of it.  No one has seen either in this case.

Bob KQ2M