[CQ-Contest] Contesting and Emergencies

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and Emergencies
From: "Chip at Heil" <chip@heilsound.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:31:10 -0800
Some years back, I wrote an essay on the above subject that was published  in
QST. And here we have the same issue arising again.

I think this petition by the MMSN is a hopeless and misguided idea. Instead of
doing a "land grab" on their favorite frequency, the MMSN ought to petition the
FCC to set aside a small segment, say 14.125-14.135 MHz for emergency use and
emergency use only (i.e. when life and property are in the process of being in
danger, or if that danger is imminent). We already have the 5 MHz band for
low-frequency emergency use, and it's not available for contest operation.

For everyday operation, drills, exchanging routine weather information, etc.,
the "normal" frequencies should be used. If they're crowded, try 10 MHz and 18
MHz.

This problem has such a simple solution that the MMSN petition ought never to
have seen the light of day.

73,

Chip Margelli, K7JA