Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 84, Issue 13

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 84, Issue 13
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 14:51:35 -0500
I've read some of this thread.  I haven't seen anyone spelling out the
raison d'être for amateur Radio.  Namely the  Amateur Radio Service is a
Service. It justifies its existence by the public service a tiny
minority of its members provide to the public in times of emergencies
and during practice for those emergencies.

Whilst no group nor net can "claim" a frequency, if one looks at the
situation from the "other side" the problem of communicating on 20
metres during a contest when a real emergency occurs is very real - and
valuable time can be lost if one needs to break through a contest pileup.

BTW, I doubt that FCC could, or would, go along with such a petition.
As others have said, for folks truly interested in communicating in
emergency there are many commercial channels available for doing just
that, with satellite telephone being one of the better services.

73 de n8xx Hg