[CQ-Contest] new CQWW scoring rules (100% conjecture)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] new CQWW scoring rules (100% conjecture)
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 02:09:51 +0000 (GMT)
This topic is right up there with "cut numbers."  :-)

First, the current rules (points/mults) are well established.  When someone
chooses to go
to a 2 point country instead of a 3 point country, they know that before they
make any plans.

Second, there are a lot of possible ways to change the scoring.  Members of the
various
committees do discuss this, although, as far as I am aware, not in any formal
setting; we
just like to gab about such things.  AFAIK, There is no formal agenda on this.

We can change lots of things for "fine tuning" the point structure.  The
problem is that "fine
tuning" is actually means "trying an alternative."  As long as there are
population centers in
the world, some part of the world will ALWAYS end up being a "favored" location
(point-wise).

Using Grid Fields as mults and also using Grid Fields to determine points (same
Grid Field = 1
point, contiguous Grid Field = 2 points, next "perimeter" of Grid Fields = 3
points, etc) has
potential appeal for assigning points for DX.  But keep in mind, that means
that W2's working
W6's (and vice versa) would then count.  Boy would THAT change a DX contest.
So if
one starts fiddling with that, then everything "falls apart" in terms of
"leveling the playing
field" because now you have established an exception to the rule.

Remember that as it is now, guys like V47 in NA experience 2 points as an
exception to the rule
already (normally would be 1 point).  You want to see "crazy" rules, check out
CQ160.  From NJ
I can work W6 and get "squat" while a VE3 can work a W2 in NY and "clean up"
point-wise.  I can
blow a VE out of the water in terms of Q's and mults, but they will ALWAYS
cream my score by
simply piling on the W's.  VEs can sit there an run W's all day.  How many VE's
are there for me
to work?  For me, THAT one REALLY needs changing (see..I can "get into this"
too).

Until we all live in equal densities across the globe, nothing will be "fair."

But I'm all in favor of mental exercises.  Who knows...someone might actually
hit upon a
good one!  Happy conjecturing - it is indeed fun!  :-)

de Doug KR2Q