Re: [CQ-Contest] FY5KE QRP

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FY5KE QRP
From: Kenneth Silverman <kenny.k2kw@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 20:08:29 -0500
W9SZ Writes:

>Back in the early 90's V73C was running QRP in the ARRL DX CW contest. He
>had a phenomenal signal here all night on 40 meters. Yet in every QSO his
>power that he sent was "005". I had a hard time believing it.

>I later exchanged e-mails with him and he said he had a 40 meter beam over
>salt water. He was indeed QRP. So you never know. The right antenna in the
>right place can do wonderful things.
He would have done ever better with a vertical on the beach!  Team Vertical
has operated HP, LP, and QRP from the Caribbean over the past 10 years, and
set many QRP and LP world records.  Its amazing what can be done with QRP
and an excellent antenna.

Over the years the Team Vertical guys have collected a lot of data from
various power levels, and for the most part, from the northern Caribbean the
number of US stations that can be worked is fairly constant on any given
band for a given antenna system.  I.E. going from HP to QRP didn't reduce
the number of US QSOs much at all.  The biggest delta was EU, JA, and
everywhere else.

I didn't operate this year, but FY5KE's score is on par with the world
record set by P40W (W2GD) http://cqww.com/records_cw_world.htm so it's not
"out there" IMO.

Kenny K2KW