Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring?
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 16:59:22 -0500
I think we need to re-evaluate the psychological health of those who
complain about the scoring system in CQWW contest.  For that matter, for
any contest.

It appears to the folks in higher latitudes that they have a
disadvantage compared with southerners in North American Contests.
People in Europe have a definite advantage over North American operators
because they can work Asia and Africa so much easier.  People in "rare
DX" countries have an advantage over the rest of us.

HOWEVER, the rules are "owned" by the sponsor, so griping about them
doesn't do much except generate a lot of hot air. But, contesters being
contesters, I can predict with >99.44% certainty that, after most major
contests there will be an extended discussion, which will drivel on and
on, about what "needs" to be changed about scoring of the latest
contest.  This discussion will slowly dribble off to nothingness until
the next big contest, and it will start up again.  I'd place bets with
bookies in Las Vegas, but the odds would be so unfavorable that it
wouldn't be worth it.  If you don't believe me, just go back to the
archives of this reflector and look at the drivel after each CQWW,
CQWPX, ARRL DX contest, et. nausea.

For me, I'll crank the power down to <5Watts and go to a "rare" state or
zone or county and have a fighting chance of getting recognized, because
most folks use >KW and megabuck antenna farms.

72/73 de n8xx Hg