[CQ-Contest] CQWW contest analysis database

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWW contest analysis database
From: "wally" <wally@el-soft.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:35:51 +0300
Hi Fabian,

Let me not agree with your conclusion.

FOUR out of TEN SOAB stations are MISSING from formal CQ Top Ten list ! This
means almost 40 % change !

Do you think any JA Multi-Multi will easily ever make it into top 6 or top
ten of World M/M in formal CQ results ?

In distance based top scores there are two JA M/M stns and JA5FDJ is THIRD in
the world ! KH7X is now No.4 !

I would say that "distance based top scores" list definetly makes a
difference ! It will be interesting to make same calculations for contests in
last 5 years and compare data to draw any final conclusions.

Besides, it does not do anything bad/wrong to formal results published by CQ.
It will only give a different perspective to achievements of contest stations
worldwide and will make "the game" more interesting to play in :-) !

Knowledgable volunteers, like you Fabian, would make/ calculate "Distance
Based Top Scores" list and upload these on-line for everyone to see :-). Such
approach will not harm CQ reputation or will NOT question the formal results
based on already well known rules of CQWW contests.
It only will better recognize the achievements of contesters in remote parts
of the world who are far away from contesters populated areas.

73, Wally LZ2CJ

Fabian Kurz mail at fkurz.net wrote :
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 08:02:19PM +0300, wally wrote:
> Now a volunteer with sufficient knowledge in this field can use this data
and
> make "Distance Based Top Scores" listings for CQWW Contests between 2006 -
> 2008.

Only for CQWW CW 2008, which could easily be downloaded from CQWW.com.
The database file advertised earlier here on this reflector was in
some cancerous proprietery format that I could not open.

I just downloaded all CQWW CW 2008 files and analyzed them by the
following simple methodology:

a) For each unique call in all logs, a DXCC was determined by a simple
   algorithm based on the CTY.DAT file and saved in a database
b) A matrix with all distances between all known DXCCs was created.
   With a total of DXCC^2 entries.
c) Each CQWW CW 2008 log was recalculated by accumulated kilometers
   instead if the known CQWW scoring rules.

Here we go, for two interesting categories. The columns denote:
1. Place, calculated by kilometers
2. Distance of all QSOs in km
3. Callsign
4. Actual position in CQWW 2008 results (if easily found in printed scores)

SINGLE-OP ONE NON-ASSISTED ALL HIGH FIXED

1.  45028774 V47NT   3
2.  40775552 ZS4TX   (5.8m pts - not in top ten)
3.  39419835 PZ5TT   4
4.  38693640 8P5A    5
5.  36996791 V31WA   6
6.  35883301 EF8M    (1?, DQ)
7.  32314061 ZF2AM   (10)
8.  32120589 ZY7C    --
9.  32108502 VK2IA   ("only" 2.8m points)
10. 31531618 PW2D    --

Top ten scorer 3V8BB (YT1AD, 1st) is at 27238661km, just below K1LZ.
CT3NT (CT1BOH) at 29775030km, below JH4UYB and 5H3EE!

MULTI-OP UNLIMITED ASSISTED ALL HIGH FIXED

1.  108586599 HC8N        1 (32m)
2    91206345 3X5A        2 (29m)
3.   55337998 JA5FDJ
4.   53295746 KH7X
5.   53263736 CT9L        3 (23m)
6.   46385052 KC1XX       4 (15m)
7.   46236480 JA3YBK
8.   45277088 K3LR        5 (14m)
9.   43290689 W3LPL
10.  41501754 HD2M
11.  37537522 EE2W          (11m)
12.  36885769 LZ9W          (12m)
13.  35973796 DF0HQ       6 (13m)

(LZ9W and EE2W are 2nd and 3rd in EU respectively; just opposite to
their positions calculated by the distances!)

Some scores may be missing from the results posted here. The format of
the Cabrillo headers for the categories were often not according to
the standard. Unedited results at http://fkurz.net/ham/scores9.txt

Conclusions? None.