Re: [CQ-Contest] Using spectrum scopes in contests

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Using spectrum scopes in contests
From: Bob Schreibmaier <k3ph@ptd.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:32:49 -0500
Hi Tobias,

I use the spectrum scope to help determine when
the higher bands open up.  For example, I set up
the 756Pro3 to look at +/- 50 kHz of the frequency
where the radio is set.  By having the logging
program set the radio to 28050, I can quickly
look at everything from 28000 to 28100 kHz.
Gives me a quick way to check if 10 meters is open
(other than a couple of big multis calling CQ).

The other thing is that I'm not a big gun, but
a little pistol.  By looking at the spectrum scope
on a busy band, I can look for "holes" in the
spectrum.  Makes it a lot easier and faster to
find a potential run frequency.

73,
Bob
K3PH