Re: [CQ-Contest] Wanna win a contest this weekend?

To: "Bokverket" <info@bokverket.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Wanna win a contest this weekend?
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 15:01:59 -0600
Yup, another MN QSO Party is written into the books. All mobilers returned
safe, intact, and satisfied. There was a mile stretch of road where one
station was "cutting new tracks" through a foot of snow ahead of the
snowplow, but their keen driving skill kept them out of the ditches.

Thanks to everyone for participating again this year. Remember to send in
you Cabrillo log files to mnqp@isd.net by March 15th, 2010. There are plenty
of opportunities to win your state or country. My previous posting was for
the SO Low Power category, but there are others open for new records too. It
might be your log! Send it in!

Here's the link to all the standing records (thanks to our president Bill,
ACØW and score keeper Rich, NØHJZ for tabulating this information):
http://webpages.charter.net/ac0w/MNQP/MNQPpage.html

For several years many MNQP mobilers have used APRS to provide active
location identification. This year their "planned itineraries" were linked
with these interactive maps. Thanks go to Pat, KØPC who created this new
integration.

If you missed this tool, you can still take a look at the concept. There are
two views. One is the combined rover coverage that shows MN counties and
color codes them according to how many mobile stations are expected. The red
color indicates only 1 mobile will visit a county, making it more critical
to get logged. See that view here:  http://tinyurl.com/yfynwyx

The other view is the planned route for each mobiler. This shows the order
which they expect to visit their list of counties. Use this link
http://www.w0aa.org/rovers.htm  and then select a mobile station of
interest. Click the "County Route Map With APRS" link. This takes you to a
mini-map with an overview of the route. Next, click the "View Larger Map" in
the lower left corner. This brings you to a full page display with the
planned route listed on the left. Clicking on any of the county names will
bring up a "helper" window on the map to the right, identifying the county
you have selected.

We invite feedback from the contest community how this system worked for you
and if there are other considerations that would increase the usability for
participants. It is my opinion this new system would replace the Excel
workbooks I have created in the past. The new system can be updated at the
last moment and provides a tool for anyone who has internet access and a
browser.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN