Re: [CQ-Contest] Host A Rookie, but ...

To: Dave - AB7E <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Host A Rookie, but ...
From: <k8gt@mi.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:05:21 -0500
Or for $259 he can get a Piexx processor communications board for his TS930,
which allows computer control.  That makes for a nice contesting rig with
computer logging.

Tiger Direct and other outlets have brand new Pentium dual core desktops for
under $400 with most of the latest bells, whistles and OSes.

Not $5000, but $500 total or less.

We are contesting hams and we are frugal and creative.  :-)

And N1MM is an awesome piece of software.  I had a bit of a learning curve,
coming from NA, but I could duplicate some of my favorite NA routines in N1MM
and some became even better.

I think that it all makes contesting more fun.

73, Gerry,  K8GT

---- Dave - AB7E <xdavid@cis-broadband.com> wrote:

You can get a perfectly serviceable refurbished computer for $200 that would do
everything you need.  A new computer-capable contest rig with few frills (such
as a K3 with minimal options) would cost you about $2K.  N1MM is free and very
simple to use if you set it up right, and it doesn't require any kind of keying
interface other than an RS-232 cable (which somebody would probably also be
willing to give to you for free.)  Whether you'd need better internet access is
debatable.

73,
Dave   AB7E