[CQ-Contest] Icom Level Converter (was Computer Controlled Rigs.)

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Icom Level Converter (was Computer Controlled Rigs.)
From: "Brad Hedges" <bdhedges@hughes.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:13:39 -0600
All that the Icom level converter is, is exactly that - a level converter.
It is a TTL-level (0-5 volts) to RS-232 (+/- 12 Volts) converter.
Generically it is a "max232", which is a now industry-standard that was
originally (and still is) produced by the Maxim IC company, and produced in
many variants including those which use five external capacitors (like the
original) and those with internal caps to construct a charge pump. It's
really easy to wire up point to point or on a breadboard for just a few
bucks, and is what I use with my 2nd radio (an IC-761).

HTH & vy 73,
Brad
KM5MM

<snip>

Makes one wonder just what's in that Icom level converter.