Re: [CQ-Contest] Something we need to remember

To: Randy Thompson K5ZD <k5zd@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Something we need to remember
From: Henk Remijn PA5KT <pa5kt@remijn.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:27:45 +0200
Randy,

I was not in the contest, but remember some things from CW contests and
other events this year.

During the ARRL DX CW I started a run on 3573 after asking if the
frequency was in use. I always send a ? and also qrl?. After 15 minutes
at 0355Z someone start jamming my frequency. Carriers, sending dits.
These jamming signals were much stronger then the contesters, so I doubt
they were running legal power. At 0400Z some cw net from Texas started.
Without asking anything. I dont argue, I move away, arguing is lost time.
Who are the bad guys here?
Who is having a cw net in the middle of the psk frequency allocation?

Other example, during the CQ 160 CW at the start of the contest I was
just below 1850. I asked if the frequency was in use. I even asked in
SSB because I heard someone chatting before the contest.
No replies. So I started. After a while someone started sending
recordings of my signal. I know who these people are. They are dutch
amateurs who are around 1850 every day for a ragchew. They stopped long
before I started, but still claiming the frequency. Why do they choose
1850? We have an allocation up till 1880. Later I asked one of the
ragchewers why they dont move a bit higher, answer as usual: "We are
using this frequency already for years, and we will use it for years."

I also dont know why all these emergency nets which are active after a
disaster always choose a frequency which are NOT the around IARU
emergency frequencies, but always in the middle of the DX band, or on a
frequency which is allocated to a different mode then used for the
emergency..

For me most emergency nets, ragchewers and other people who claim
frequencies with a wrong reason should be looked at, not the contesters
of which 99.9% are the best operators with good equipment, good ears and
good operating practice.

73 Henk PA5KT

Randy Thompson K5ZD schreef:
> During and after the WPX SSB Contest, I received a number of emails
> complaining about the behavior of various contesters on the bands.  We do
> all need to remember that we are sharing the road with others and must do
> our part to help get along.
>
> I have copied one such message below that should remind us of this.
>
> Randy, K5ZD

Henk Remijn PA5KT
email: pa5kt@remijn.net
www: www.remijn.net