Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters

To: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters
From: "Lee J. Imber (WW2DX)" <lee@ww2dx.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:41:12 -0400
Good Morning Paul,

On Apr 12, 2010, at 6:37 PM, Paul O'Kane wrote:

> [...]

I am actually curious why this is a problem? What is the underlying harm
of this addition to the cluster? "weapon of mass destruction" how? what is it
destroying? I look forward to your thoughts on this.

> The fact that something can be done does not always mean
> that it is worth doing.  The people who have developed
> this technology can congratulate themselves on the
> introduction of a fundamental change in the nature of
> contesting, to the extent that it has been largely
> debased.

I really don't feel that the developers had any intentions to fundamentally
change anything.
This is just another technology that anyone may find interesting or useful or
may lead us to other new technologies.
"debased" , not sure about that, this is like anything else it all comes down
to the individual to respect the rules (if any).
How is this any different from the invention of the telephone, internet, SDR,
auto tuning amps, software logging, computer keying etc etc.
We are all purist to some extent ;)

> They may argue it's just a natural extension of existing
> technology - the cluster.  If so, doesn't that raise a
> question about the legitimacy of the cluster?

I'm all ears, what is the question about the legitimacy?

> Regardless of how we got here, or how well-intentioned
> the developers were/are, we should not be here.  The
> internet serves only to undermine amateur radio - by
> putting the wires back into wireless.

The internet does? The internet is a rats nest of wires, switches and
electronics that pass packets, how does that control anything a human does?
The internet is simply a device to move information from one spot to another,
nothing else. What PEOPLE do with this information has NOTHING to do
with the internet or its technologies.

I look forward to your view on this Paul, I *think* I am a fairly open minded
person I hope to grasp a better understanding on your views.

73,

Lee
WW2DX