Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:24:12 -0600
I tend to agree with most of that. I have no problem with new and advanced
operating aids within one's station. Computer logging, CW keyboards, digital
voice keyers, etc. are all great. Even a band scope of one's own on one's
own receiver would ne a neat tool. It would be interesting to have one that
would decode what it was copying on your receiver and display the callsigns
of these stations.

I don't use packet myself on my own operations. I have been involved in a
few M/S efforts that used packet, and in this case, it really didn't
contribute a lot to our score. We had some big runs and a large percentage
of the packet spots were of stations we'd already worked. A percentage of
the remaining ones were spotted by some station far away and we couldn't
even hear them. Occasionally a packet spot would produce a QSO with a new
mult.

I'm waiting for the day when robots make all the QSO's in a contest. I see
that as useless and that would be the day when I gave up. As of now, it
seems one's score would be the result of four things - operating skill, the
quality of one's station, location and band conditions. Where's the
operating skill in having a robot doing it? I suppose there may be some
skill in writing a program that works, but that's not operating skill. And I
still like to think I'm working a real person at the other end.

Fun is still a major reason why I do contesting. I hope that doesn't go
away.

73, Zack W9SZ