Re: [CQ-Contest] Best callsign letters

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Best callsign letters
From: David Levine <david@levinecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 08:14:08 -0400
As other posted, getting your call out there helps a lot. I have been
licensed for under 3 years and actively contesting for about 2 years
and getting just a partial on my call sometimes results in the op
coming back with 'must be K2DSL'.

I always say the proper phonetics first (Delta Sierra Lima) but if the
other op has trouble I will substitute Denmark Sugar London or
combinations of the above to see if it helps. I guess Dumb Stupid Luck
might work too.

In a phone pileup or even with a small number of stations calling the
same op, they pull out the last 1 or 2 letters of the suffix. I won't
change my call even if a good 1x2 came up, but having a 2 letter
suffix doesn't hurt vs a 3 letter suffix.

In RTTY, I don't think any of this matters. And from my own, albeit
short, oersonal experience, if you are the run station, this is less
important as you are spotted or someone is listening to you (as long
as the call is given) a time or two befor you call. Unless I type
something wrong, and maybe that is something to consider, I don't
often get a station wrong in the log when I am S&Ping.

Now it might be my New Jersey accent, but more then any other wrong
part of the call, at least on phone, seems to be the number. In a
phone contest at least a couple times I will get K3DSL with what the
other op comes back with. Not sure why. I will check tonight but I
don't even know if K3DSL  is in the SCP file. I usually come back with
K2 1-2 K2DSL on the exchange when that happens.

That's my couple of cents on this.

David - K2DSL