Re: [CQ-Contest] Budgeting and planning for a young contest station

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Budgeting and planning for a young contest station
From: VK4TI <vk4ti@wia.org.au>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:11:01 -0800 (PST)
Totally agree Peter -

HFTA is one of the best tools in a contesters cabinet...we modeled all the
towers and antennas at our station using it before installation and the
scores are starting to get acceptable. (VK4KW)

I have always thought that options is the next best tool - as many different
antennas as practical..and an often overlooked option is spares -

SPARE ANTENNA
SPARE HEADPHONE
SPARE PC
SPARE AMP
SPARE RIG

Its amazing how often in a contest it will all come crashing down...I also
like to have another headset for the times that the headset gets a bit
niggly esp after long stints...NOT meant as an advert but since using a Heil
Proset this doesn't happen - but used to with older headsets I used..

Trent VK4TI