[CQ-Contest] Contest QTH

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest QTH
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 18:24:04 -0400
K1TN:

 > I am four miles west of the edge of Great Bay, an Atlantic Ocean
inlet. Can I run a ground wire there to get the salt water effect, or
do I need to go another three miles.

         I know you're being facetious but I've actually studied
this.  Based on ancedotal evidence from several successful low-band
stations (you'd recognize their calls but I'm sworn to secrecy), I
believe you need to be within several hundred feet of water with
salinity >15 ppt (parts per thousand).  It doesn't have to be ocean
salt water (~35 ppt) but brackish water with at least 15 ppt
salinity.  You can actually model these effects with EZNEC using
custom ground conductivities (based on different salinity levels).

         No you can't just connect your wire but if you did, tinned
copper braid would be a very poor choice for many reasons (IMHO poor
for grounding anything except car batteries).  Copper flashing
covering the entire area east of you should work just fine. :-)

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV