Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted

To: Tony Rogozinski <trogo@telegraphy.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted
From: Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 19:29:19 -0400
Tony,

By your definition only someone using a straight key to send code
would truly qualify as unassisted. The keyer/paddle used by most CW
contesters helps (assists) them form dits and dahs properly so that
others can decode it and will help them with speed, rate and
ultimately scores. Even a mechanical vibroplex bug would qualify as
assistance, or at least it would have at some point in time.

At that point it starts to get a bit ridiculous.  Pretty much anything
can be defined as "assistance" in some form or another.

73
Ryan N2RJ

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Tony Rogozinski <trogo@telegraphy.com> wrote:
> Seems like this thread is continuing ad nauseum as usual. "MY" point was that
> perhaps there should be
> a category for guys/gals who wish to operate without the assist of machines
> and send and receive
> the code the old fashioned way to illustrate their proficiency in the code
> both sending and receiving.
> If others wish to use whatever type of machine they choose then that's fine I
> don't have a problem
> with it but I do think it would be more fair to give those of us who choose
> not to use those machines
> an opportunity to compete against each other.   Nothing more and nothing
> less.  I'm sure it won't
> happen but it was just a thought.
>

> Tony  W4OI/HK1AR

Ryan A. Jairam,