[CQ-Contest] Secrets within the logs

To: "CQ-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Secrets within the logs
From: "Hal Kennedy" <halken@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:53:53 -0300
I?m afraid folks who don?t believe there are secrets concerning little-known
openings, strategies, etc that can be gleaned from winners? logs simply
think they don?t exist because they don?t have any themselves.  They are
guilty of projection.

Particularly from the DX side ? there are little known, unusual openings at
places like PJ4 that occur on a reasonably predictable basis ? these have
been learned over time by those who go to those places and are a hard-earned
competitive edge.

I share everything I know about station design, antenna design, etc.  But if
you want to know how the bands are going to perform ? spend 20 years
figuring it out for yourself, or join me on an M/2 or M/S expedition.  Don?t
expect anyone to tell you 15m opens long path from the Caribbean into zone
18 at 3AM local time ? when you would assume the band is dead (a bogus but
not too far off example).  All it takes is one open log to wipe out the
knowledge base a lot of hard work has gone into building over time.

I agree with the question posed about why logs should be open.  Is this an
admission that the administrators can?t handle the log checking task?  If
so, say so and ask for help with that.  Is this an admission some of us don?
t trust the log checkers ? there must be a better way to deal with that if
it?s the case.

73,
Hal N4GG