Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU HF zones

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, kx9x@arrl.org
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU HF zones
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 14:44:03 -0700 (PDT)
Actually, getting the precise zone is quite important because of the zone-based
scoring (1 pt same zone/3 points other zones). I bet that if you are in zone
10, your score will be higher by 15-20% compared to zone 6.

In the past, the ARRL had a list which precisely defined what parts of which
states were in which zone. No part of AZ was in zone 10 ! It seems that the
list was removed when the ARRL website was revamped, but you can still get it
at:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070318210126/www.arrl.org/contests/vev0vy.html#wkna

Then I found

http://www.arrl.org/contest-update-issues%3Fissue%3D2010-06-09

which references a map

http://www.itu.int/ITU-R/terrestrial/broadcast/hf/refdata/maps/index.html

and "corner coordinates" at

http://www.itu.int/ITU-R/terrestrial/broadcast/hf/refdata/reftables/ciraf.txt

But I think those are actually "test points" for evaluating signal strengths,
and not on the boundaries of zones. If you plot some of them (for example the
SW quadrant of zone 8 where I am), you will see they are not at all the
boundaries. Also notice for example that the east boundary of zone 7 does not
correspond to the west boundary of 8 in that list.

So which one should we use? I'd be happy to put myself in zone 7 according to
the "corner coordinates" referenced and get a 20% increase in score :)

Tor
N4OGW/5