Re: [CQ-Contest] List of WRTC stations / Results /Overspotting, and its

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com, Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] List of WRTC stations / Results /Overspotting, and its impact
From: Julius Fazekas <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 05:40:50 -0700 (PDT)
> Provide all or the teams with the same equipment?  OK,
> let's say for the
> sake of argument that you're going to give all 50 teams the
> same antenna
> system, radio, and computer.  Who buys 50
> radios?  (etc)  And you'd have to
> give the teams time to learn the radios, or you give a
> significant advantage
> to the team that uses that brand/make/model over everyone else.

As I recall, the teams are responsible for providing the radios they used. Part
of the reason, and some may call this blasphemy, there were so many K3s, is
that they performance is packed into a light package compared to the FT1000 or
some of the other popular contesting rigs. It's interesting that neither of the
two most popular WRTC radios have panadapters... The closer you lived to the
WRTC site, the more likely you were to bring a heavy radio, particularly if you
didn't have to fly in from the other side of the world. I would argue most of
the teams were probably pretty comfortable with their radios and most with
their team mates.

> And who knows how technology is going to change in the next
> four years?  We
> didn't have skimmer or RBN the last time around -- who
> knows what the
> spotting system will be like the next time?  This
> whole discussion might be moot.
If we go by the premise that every spot is worth on the average 10 QSOs, and
the winning team had a monstrous 14 spot advantage, then why did the #2 and 3
teams have more QSOs? To me it seems the advantage was based on the R32F
working any and all 5 point openings to death, which also made up for their
multiplier deficit... One could argue they maximized high value QSOs by heavily
favoring CW. I look forward to reading their story.

Actually, it sounds like there are many good stories from this event. An
amazing amount of team work by the hosts and competitors, under some
challenging conditions.

Too, it's great to see what is possible with a less than big gun station
running LP...

Julius Fazekas

Tennessee Contest Group

Tennessee QSO Party