[CQ-Contest] Spots and Success in the WRTC - a little data for discussio

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Spots and Success in the WRTC - a little data for discussion
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 06:44:28 -0400
The following table lists the contestants in WRTC by finish order and
callsign, and then shows the number of spots recorded in the Reverse
Beacon Network database.  Reverse beacons don't cheerlead or select
which stations to spot.  You can draw your own conclusions.  Perhaps
there is a statistician among us who can derive further enlightenment by
analyzing these numbers, together with others released by the organizers.

Call    Place    Spots
R32F    1       182
R33A    2       109
R33M    3       316
R39D    4       172
R34P    5       156
R32K    6       0
R32R    7       106
R31X    8       21
R37M    9       189
R36C    10      166
R33L    11      132
R38F    12      232
R33G    13      163
R31U    14      62
R34O    15      122
R36Y    16      59
R34W    17      197
R39M    18      222
R32C    19      115
R37L    20      139
R37Q    21      247
R34C    22      184
R36O    23      17
R38O    24      116
R31A    25      302
R36F    26      41
R38K    27      187
R38X    28      79
R31D    29      111
R34D    30      14
R32Z    31      252
R32O    32      111
R37A    33      184
R32W    34      142
R31N    35      140
R36Z    36      100
R38N    37      50
R36K    38      91
R38W    39      79
R37P    40      10
R39A    41      25
R37U    42      191
R34X    43      76
R39R    44      12
R34Z    45      133
R33U    46      96
R36W    47      152
R33Q    48      85

When I first saw this, I questioned how it was possible that a station
could finish sixth and yet not be spotted even once, but the scientist
on our team tells me it is not only possible, but statistically likely.
In any case, that's what the database says.

--
73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily atwww.conteststations.com
The Reverse Beacon Network athttp://reversebeacon.net, blog at