Re: [CQ-Contest] Consider This Fellow Contesters

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Consider This Fellow Contesters
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:02:26 -0600
N7mal wrote:
> Contesting by its very nature is completive. After each competition the
> contesters need a place to vent, make suggestions for improvement, and
> exchange ideas, whether they be good or bad. This mailing list has
> traditionally been the place for the serious, and not so serious, contesters
> to let off steam.

It depends how you define "traditionally". In the past ten years CQ-Contest has
become very divisive and negative. If you go back to the early years
(1991-1996), it was an inviting place for contesters to help each other,
encourage newcomers, and trade war stories. Now a lot of that helpfulness has
moved to other reflectors, such as 3830, TowerTalk, and Topband. Many, many
contesters don't even read CQ-Contest anymore because of what it has become.

> I for one do not want to see this mailing list 'sterilized'. There were
> plenty of positive and negative postings about WRTC but for some reason you
> only want to dwell on the negative.
> This mailing list,(ohhh how I hate this term), is very Fair and Balanced and
> IMHO should be left alone.

If that's what you want, then considering starting a new mailing list, like
CQ-Contest@fox.com .

> After a thread has run its course, positive or
> negative, we move on to the next one which some guys will like and others
> won't.

But we don't move on. The same themes repeat periodically, including the
current
"599" thread, and last week's packet-bashing thread.

73,
Steve, N2IC