Re: [CQ-Contest] The King (Packet cluster network) is dead! Long live th

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, Doug Smith <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The King (Packet cluster network) is dead! Long live the Kin...
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:30:15 -0700 (PDT)
> (SO2R does of course force a different strategic decision:
> which other band will you do your S&Ping on?  Until
> someone works out the technology to S&P
> on the same band on which they're CQing.  I'd bet
> someone is already doing that but hasn't yet released their
> secret!)  (I've done it in the ARRL DX
> but only while running QRP)

Easy: current hardware has the capability to do in-band SO2R at any power level
without the need for far-remote rx antennas, super filters, etc. All that is
needed is a wide-band SDR hooked to the IF output of the transceiver. The trick
is to use the recording/time-delaying capability of SDR:

When in RX mode, the system continuously records a slice of the band, keeping a
certain amount of time slice (<30 seconds needed in practice) in memory.

While in TX mode, the computer plays the recorded slice back to the op in split
headphone audio as if it was a second rig on another band. The op can then
virtually tune through the samples, identify callsigns that are needed, and
input them on a bandmap, all while transmitting at the same time. When ready to
work a S&P qso, the computer just loads that freq into the 2nd rx vfo.

Not quite as efficient as cross-band SO2R because you can't really listen when
you are transmitting, but I think it could come very close.

Someone just has to write the code. There are lots of other ways SDR can be
used "unassisted" in logging programs as well.

CQ-Contest mailing list