Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ and S&P on the same band

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ and S&P on the same band
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:02:08 -0400
Big deal?  We did the same thing between the Buckeye Net, (3580 KHz),
the Eighth Region Net (3530 KHz), and the Eastern Area Net (3670 KHz)
during a Simulated Emergency Net sometime in the 60's or the early
70's.  We had two stations, one on either the Buckeye Net or the Eastern
Area Net (They weren't on at the same time) and the other on the Eighth
Region Net.  The receivers were 75A4's - don't recall what the
transmitters were, but we could receive messages on one net, physically
pass the written traffic on paper to the other station, and list it
almost immediately thereafter.  The Net Control sometimes got flustered,
because he/she didn't understand why we didn't list all the traffic at
the beginning of a session.  However, with overlapping cycles of the
National Traffic System, it seemed logical to have the Eighth Region Net
is continuous operation, and able to pass traffic to/from the
lower/higher eschelon traffic nets on a real time basis.

I don't know how a 75A4 stacks up to a TR-7, but there was absolutely no
interference between two rigs which were closer than 50 KHz apart on 80
metres.  Don't recall if we experimented with how close in frequency we
could get without interference.  The 75A4 was considered near "gold
standard" for the day.

The antennae were dipoles at about 50', and physically separated by
about 600 feet.  One was fed with open wire line, the other with RG-213.

73 de n8xx Hg
Past 8th Region Net Manager