Re: [CQ-Contest] Question for Rookie Roundup

To: DickT-W0RAA <dickt@w0raa.com>, cq-contesting <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Question for Rookie Roundup
From: Dave <desloan@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:30:36 -0400 (EDT)
Dick,
   My understanding is that they can operate your station (anywhere that your
license will authorize operation) using their call, as long as you are present
as the control operator.

§97.105 Control operator duties.-
(a) The control operator must ensure the immediate proper operation of the
station, regardless of the type of control.

(b) A station may only be operated in the manner and to the extent permitted by
the privileges authorized for the class of operator license held by the control
operator.

(a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand station, must
transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the end of each
communication, and at least every ten minutes during a communication, for the
purpose of clearly making the source of the transmissions from the station
known to those receiving the transmissions. No station may transmit
unidentified communications or signals, or transmit as the station call sign,
any call sign not authorized to the station.

(b) The call sign must be transmitted with an emission authorized for the
transmitting channel in one of the following ways:

(1) By a CW emission. When keyed by an automatic device used only for
identification, the speed must not exceed 20 words per minute;
(2) By a phone emission in the English language. Use of a phonetic alphabet as
an aid for correct station identification is encouraged;
(3) By a RTTY emission using a specified digital code when all or part of the
communications are transmitted by a RTTY or data emission;
(4) By an image emission conforming to the applicable transmission standards,
either color or monochrome, of §73.682(a) of the FCC Rules when all or part of
the communications are transmitted in the same image emission.

(c) One or more indicators may be included with the call sign. Each indicator
must be separated from the call sign by the slant mark (/) or by any suitable
word that denotes the slant mark. If an indicator is self-assigned, it must be
included before, after, or both before and after, the call sign. No
self-assigned indicator may conflict with any other indicator specified by the
FCC Rules or with any prefix assigned to another country.

(d) When transmitting in conjunction with an event of special significance, a
station may substitute for its assigned call sign a special event call sign as
shown for that station for that period of time on the common data base
coordinated, maintained and disseminated by the special event call sign data
base coordinators. Additionally, the station must transmit its assigned call
sign at least once per hour during such transmissions.

(e) When the operator license class held by the control operator exceeds that
of the station licensee, an indicator consisting of the call sign assigned to
the control operator's station must be included after the call sign.

(f) When the control operator who is exercising the rights and privileges
authorized by §97.9(b) of this Part, an indicator must be included after the
call sign as follows:

(1) For a control operator who has requested a license modification from Novice
to Technician Class: KT;
(2) For a control operator who has requested a license modification from
Novice, Technician or Technician Plus Class to General Class: AG;
(3) For a control operator who has requested a license modification from
Novice, Technician, Technician Plus, General, or Advanced Class operator to
Amateur Extra Class: AE.

(g) When the station is transmitting under the authority of §97.107 of this
part, an indicator consisting of the appropriate letter-numeral designating the
station location must be included before the call sign that was issued to the
station by the country granting the license. For an amateur service license
granted by the Government of Canada, however, the indicator must be included
after the call sign. At least once during each intercommunication, the
identification announcement must include the geographical location as nearly as
possible by city and state, commonwealth or possession.

The way I read (e) above would mean that they must ID using both their call
sign and your seperated with a slash. Until I re-read this part of the rules I
would have said that they could have just used their call but operated anywhere
in the band that your license authorized. Makes me think about Field Day.

Anyone else read this differently?

73,
Dave N0EOP